Sunday, May 24, 2009

Wonders of Invention

The zebra crossing!


At both ends of the zebra crossing is a sensor that detects the presence of a pedestrian waiting to cross the road. When the sensor registers positive, it sends out a signal to nearby vehicles. This signal causes their brakes to engage and the accelerator to disengage. A network of timing circuits performs the necessary adjustments required for the vehicle to come to a gentle stop before the zebra crossing.

The zebra crossing then sends out another signal which stimulates the driver to beckon to the pedestrian to cross. After the pedestrian has crossed the road, the zebra crossing disengages the first signal and the vehicle is once again returned to the driver's control.

AMAZING!

I am quite proud to say that Malaysia is also using zebra crossings of the same model. However, it seems that we got f**ked on the deal.

Instead of braking, the signal causes vehicles to accelerate. And instead of beckoning the pedestrian to cross, the second signal causes the driver to wave only one finger and shout, "Oi! Che me aa? Ai si aa??!!"

6 comments:

~Laura~ said...

Sensor sending signal to nearby vehicles??? i din noe that eh... hmmm....

haha.. che me aa.. ai si aa.. haha.. ai wo long u ah? hehe.. how to say langgar in hokien?

saykhia said...

Laura,
I was crapping la! Haha. And ya. Your Hokkien is quite right. But it was supposed to be "...ai wa long lu ah? ...", not "...ai wo long u ah? ..."

Eric said...

WOW.. Laura combo Foochow, Mandarin, Hokkien and English.. Nice..

saykhia said...

Eric,
Yea. Pro right?

Valarie said...

Hahaha! I was stifling my laughter when I read this. I think the girl sitting next to me in the library thinks I am mad.

It's the same case over here in Singapore. Seems like Malaysia has traffic system one of its kind! =)

saykhia said...

Valarie,
Malaysians were probably the only ones to get screwed over the deal! Hahaha.